Information for Students
Moving into a new place can be intimidating and confusing, but it doesn't have to be. To make sure your house hunting experience is as positive as possible, check out these helpful tips:
- Be aware of your rights. We recommend that students obtain all available information from NSW Fair Trading by calling 133 220 or visiting their website. You could also contact your local Tenants Advice and Advocacy Service for further information.
- Be aware of scams.
- Never give anyone any money or sign any documents for a property you haven't inspected (inside and out). UON staff do not physically view the properties or verify information given by providers. It is your responsibility to verify the suitability of a room/property before entering into an agreement.
- It's good to take a friend to inspect a property to get a second opinion, but you should not ask friends to secure accommodation on your behalf.
- Any rental agreements that you are offered must be on a standard NSW Residential Tenancy Agreement Form. If this is not the case, ask why.
- If the property is a boarding house, then a Standard Occupancy Agreement should be used, as recommended by NSW Fair Trading.
- Before selecting a boarding house, make sure it is registrable so that you are covered by the Boarding Houses Act 2012 (NSW). If a property is a registrable boarding house (a property that accommodation five or more paying residents), then it must be registered on the Boarding House Register on NSW Fair Trading’s website. It must also comply with the Boarding Houses Act 2012 (NSW) and other applicable laws.
- If you are coming from overseas, interstate or rural/regional Australia, we recommend that you arrange temporary accommodation before arriving. It can take some time for you to arrange accommodation and having secure accommodation prior to your arrival will take away any unneeded stress.
- The distance between Callaghan and City Campus is approximately 10kms.
- The Central Coast Campus is approximately 80kms south of Newcastle and the Port Macquarie Campus is approximately 240kms north of Newcastle.
UON values student feedback and uses it as a quality assurance tool for off-campus accommodation. Please provide any feedback using this student feedback form.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Terms and Conditions for Students
- International Students
- Rental Information in Foreign Languages
- Short Stay / Temporary Accommodation
- On-Campus Accommodation
- What You Must Know Before You Sign A Lease
- Breaking A Lease Early