Information for students
- Terms and conditions for students
- Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
- Short Stay / Temporary Accommodation
- Sydney Accommodation
- International Students
- What you must know before you sign a lease
- Have your say! Student feedback survey
- Scam warnings
- Breaking a lease early
- Rental information in foreign languages
Tips when looking for off-campus accommodation.
Students: Do not sign any documents, pay deposits or send money for accommodation without first inspecting the property. UON staff do not physically view the properties or verify the information given by Providers. You must satisfy yourself of the suitability of the property before entering into an agreement.
• Be aware of your rights.
• Beware of scams.
• Never give anyone any money or sign any documents for a property you haven’t inspected (inside and out). It’s good to take a friend to inspect a property. You should not ask friends to secure accommodation before you arrive.
• If you are coming from overseas, interstate or rural/regional Australia we recommend that you arrange temporary accommodation before arriving in Newcastle. It will take time for you to arrange accommodation and you want to make sure you have interim accommodation in place before you arrive.
• Rental agreements you are offered must be on a standard form NSW Residential Tenancy Agreement. If not ask WHY? If the property is a boarding house, then a Standard Occupancy Agreement should be used as recommended by NSW Fair Trading.
• If a property is a registrable boarding house (generally speaking if it has 5 or more beds), then the property must be registered on the Boarding House Register on NSW Fair Trading’s website. It must also comply with the Boarding Houses Act 2012 (NSW) and other applicable laws. Click here for more information.
NSW Fair Trading has an array of useful information for tenants. We encourage all students to obtain information from NSW Fair Trading by calling 133 220 or visiting www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au.
You could also contact your local Tenants Advice and Advocacy Service for further information.
The distance between the Callaghan and City Campus is approximately 10 kms.
The Central Coast (Ourimbah) Campus is approximately 80 kms south of Newcastle. The Port Macquarie Campus is approximately 240 kms north of Newcastle.
UON values student feedback and uses it as a quality assurance tool for off-campus accommodation. Please provide us with feedback at student feedback survey, email email@example.com